History of the School
The School of Radiologic Technology was founded in 1971. The name was changed to St. Mary’s School of Radiologic Sciences in 1982. The program’s current name, St. Mary’s Hospital School of Medical Imaging, was adopted in July 2002. The school once offered a program in nuclear medicine technology and a two-year (24 months) certificate program in radiologic technology. In 2004, the school offered an 18-month certificate program in radiologic technology. Currently, the school offers a 22-month (approximately 72 weeks) Associate of Applied Science degree in Radiologic Technology.
The health system is a private, Catholic, not-for-profit, community-based health system whose mission is “To extend the compassionate ministry of Jesus by improving the health and well-being of our communities and bring good help to those in need, especially people who are poor, dying and underserved.” The Sisters of Bon Secours (French for “good help”), an international religious congregation devoted to the care of the poor and sick, was founded in Paris, France in 1824. In the United States, the congregation’s health care ministries, which are operated by the Bon Secours Health System, Inc., include acute care hospitals, long-term care facilities, clinics, physicians’ practices, home health care services and hospices. Since 1966, St. Mary's Hospital has served Central Virginia, providing compassionate health care of the highest quality. The hospital is located in Richmond's West End at 5801 Bremo Road; Richmond, VA 23226.
St. Mary's Hospital Sponsoring Institution of the School
Since 1966, St. Mary's Hospital has served Central Virginia, providing compassionate health care of the highest quality. The hospital is located in Richmond's West End at 5801 Bremo Road; Richmond, VA 23226. St. Mary’s Hospital has proudly been the sponsoring institution for the School of Medical Imaging since 1971.